Intern, Natural Gas, Corporate Partnerships, Environmental Defense Fund
May 2014 - August 2014
- Wrote RFP for external report, helped select consultant, and provided assistance and input for the report process.
- Drafted internal and external communications for senior leaders, project summaries, and internal presentations.
- Conducted research on companies in the natural gas industry.
Student Volunteer Intern, Office of Environment & Energy, U.S. Department of the Treasury
January 2014 - May 2014
- Assisted in evaluating development projects at multinational climate change funds, including research into best available technology and climate financing.
- Created background documents for negotiations regarding the establishment of the Green Climate Fund.
- Drafted official responses to inquiries, conducted research as necessary, and assisted with logistics and office coordination.
Senior Associate, Interactive Development, Sapient Government Services
February 2011 - December 2013
- Conducted client meetings and discussions for user research, idea generation, and deliverable presentation.
- Co-led development of the Health and Human Services National Health Service Corps Jobs Center, which connects primary care providers with job opportunities in low-income communities.
- Led the User Experience team, improving the usability, accessibility, and efficiency of project user interfaces and distributing team resources across multiple monthly software releases.
Online Communications Specialist, Bread for the World
May 2009 - February 2011
- Executed marketing campaigns across multiple platforms to reach the organization’s 60,000 members.
- Streamlined the online donation pages by creating custom, API driven functionality.
- Designed and developed hungerreport.org to provide online access to the 2009, 2010, and 2011 Hunger Reports.
HHSinnovates Award Recipient - Secretary's Pick
United Stateds Department of Health and Human Services, September 2012
I served as a creative lead on the NHSC Jobs Center, which received an HHSinnovates award in September 2012.
"The HHSinnovates program was created as part of HHS's Open Government efforts to celebrate innovation by our employees. The program is aimed at building a culture of innovation at HHS through facilitating the exchange of innovative ideas throughout the Department. This contest seeks not only to recognize and reward good ideas but also to help promote them across the Department."
-- HHS Website
Core Value Award, Creativity
Sapient Government Services, April 2012
I was chosen for the Sapient Government Services Core Value Award for creativity. From the nomination:
"The way James approaches his work, with a desire to make 'something that's good,' compels him to constantly create and innovate. James is never afraid to try something new if he has a hunch that it will improve the project. Whenever we are having trouble implementing a new widget or piece of functionality in BMISS, he'll always say 'let's make a sandbox and experiment with it.' He's a problem-solver because he's constantly looking at problems in new ways."
Best in Class Website, DeRose-Hinkhouse Award
Religion Communicators Council, 2010
The Hunger Report Online, www.hungerreport.org, made Bread for the World Institute's comprehensive Hunger Report easily available on the web for the first time, including advanced data tables and interactive data visualizations.
Publications & Presentations
Collaboration Beyond the UX Shop
Presentation, User Experience Professionals Association Conference, July 2013
At the UXPA 2013 International Conference, Ben Hofer, Mark Laurent, and I teamed up to present a breakout session entitled "Collaboration Beyond the UX Shop". Inspired by experiences with cross disciplinary collaborative development, the content was based around a case study on the NHSC Jobs Center. The NHSC Jobs Center won a Department of Health and Human Services HHSinnovates Award, presented by Secretary Kathleen Sebelius in 2012.
The Review of Faith & International Affairs, January 2011
A review essay commenting on The Immigration Crisis: Immigrants, Aliens, and the Bible, by James K. Hoffmeier (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2009) and Christians at the Border: Immigration, the Church, and the Bible, by M. Daniel Carroll R. (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2008).
MBA Candidate at the McDonough School of Business
Expected May 2015
I am currently an MBA candidate at Georgetown University's McDonough School of Business. Coursework has included:
- Strategy: Firm Analysis and Strategy, Consulting Frameworks, Organizational Design
- Leadership:Leadership and Social Intelligence, Nonprofit Management, Corporate Social Responsibility
- Statistics: Managerial Statistics, Regression Analysis
- Marketing: Marketing Analysis and Customer Strategies, Advertising Strategy
- Accounting and Finance:Financial and Managerial Accounting, Financial Markets and Corporate Decision Making
- Policy: Business and Policy, Energy Policy, Water and Business
I also participate in several clubs and organizations:
- Academic Integrity Board
- Georgetown Energy and Cleantech Club
- Net Impact Club
- Outdoors Club
Bachelor of Arts from Wheaton College
summa cum laude, May 2008
I graduated with a double major in Economics and International Relations and a minor in Theology.
- President, Pi Sigma Alpha Political Honor Society
- Secretary General, Wheaton College Model United Nations
- American Economic History
- Statistics and Econometrics
- Public Policy
- International Economics
- U.S. Foreign Policy